Nikko Area Guide

Language
JAPANESE
ENGLISH
CHINESE
TAIWANESE
KOREAN
  STAY SHOP FOOD VIEW PLAY TRANSPORT

HOME > Imaichi

Imaichi

Imaichi, which prospered as a post town for visitors to NIKKO since the EDO Period is at the junction of Nikko-Kaido Road, Reiheishi-Kaido Road, and Aizu-Nishi-Kaido Road. The cedar trees, which were planted on each road over a span of about 20 years biginning in 1625 and are still standing today, will take you back to days long passed.

Nikko Sugi Avenue

About 13,000 Japanese cedars (sugi) dominate along Nikko Sugi Avenue for a total length of 37 km. This avenue has entered the Guinness Book of Records as the world’s longest. It was some 380 years ago when the trees were planted. This is the only site in Japan to have been designated by the Japanese Government both as Special Historic Relics and a Special Natural Monument.

Ozasa Ranch

This is a huge dairy ranch that expands over 362 ha of the highlands. About 650 cows are left to graze freely from spring to autumn. This ranch has a charm at any season with its sea of clouds filling the sky above in the summer and with its red leaves covering the mountains in the autumn.

Takio Shrine

It is a shrine to which Shodo Shonin, who erected the first temple at Nikko, transferred the object of worship when the Nikko Futarasan Shrine was built. It is the local deity that keeps in posterity the history of Imaichi.

Suginamiki Koen Park

It is a park where one can commune with nature and come into contact with history. It is optimal for appreciating the avenue of cedar trees or taking a stroll. The huge water wheel with a diameter of 10 m and the thatched roofed soba noodle shop are popular.

Hotoku Ninomiya Jinja Shrine

It is a shrine built in 1898 dedicated to Sontoku Ninomiya who help to restore Imaichi when the farming village of Imaichi was ruined. Today, it is visited by students to pray for success in their studies.

Nyoraiji Temple

It is a temple built in the Muromachi Period. In the Edo Period, a palace for the shoguns to lodge was built on its premises. It is a temple of high status where sealed letters were given directly to the shoguns.